Pages

Sunday, April 28, 2013

Social Media Marketing for Introverts


Image courtesy of www.bates-communications.com
I have a confession: I am an introvert! I know what you’re thinking; she’s a shy gal. Not exactly, I enjoy socializing with others. However, I love and look forward to spending time alone, away from the hustle and bustle.

Yes, I am quiet at times, but only because I tend to think a lot and generally only speak when I feel I have something meaningful to say. I also heavily guard my life experiences and rarely share details because privacy is extremely important to me. This is exactly why I was initially hesitant to jump on the social media bandwagon. 
Image courtesy of www.thehaloblog.co.uk

I remember thinking, who cares if I need to eat (Twitter) or I just ate (Facebook)? Why in the world would I share where I dine (Foursquare) or record a video (YouTube) or take a picture (Instagram) of me eating? It was too intrusive! It took a while, but I finally concluded that social media is a powerful marketing tool that would help me take my businesses to the next level.



If you are an introvert considering using social media platforms for your company’s marketing needs, here are a few tips:

1.     Set goals. Think about what you hope to accomplish with social media as it relates to you and your business (i.e. more customers, branding, etc.). Once your goals are set, create a plan to help you achieve them and stick to it.
2.     Choose wisely. Social media platforms are not created equal. Based on your goals, which platform(s) would serve your needs best? For example, FourSquare would not be ideal for a home business. You must also find likeminded groups who share your interests. This makes it easier for you to communicate with your audience and spread the word about your latest project.
3.     Plan ahead. It’s okay to plan ahead rather than post something you will regret later. This gives you time to ensure all your t’s are crossed and i’s are dotted. I currently use HootSuite to schedule my posts. It helps keep me from becoming overwhelmed.
4.     Be consistent. Just like any other marketing effort, you must be consistent. Interactions here and there will do more harm than good. Provide valuable input on industry-related platforms, send birthday wishes, or simply send a personal message to your newest follower.
5.     Have fun! Don’t let social media marketing be all work and no play, that’s boring. I know I lose interest in people who exclusively send solicitations for whatever they happen to be selling. It’s a complete turn off. Find ways to make it fun for you and your audience will love you for it!

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment